It has been lovely to be able to welcome many of our senior students back on-site to complete their NCEA qualifications. Congratulations to those students who have now completed the requirements for NCEA – we are sending out ‘completion certificates’ to students and their parents as these are completed so you will know when you have met the requirements. Please note these are not official qualifications you will receive these in the normal way via the NZQA website next year.
Health and Safety if you are coming on site:
- You must not come onsite if you are unwell. Any students who arrive unwell will be sent home and parents notified.
- You must wear a mask at all times, including on the way to and from school. There will be a zero-tolerance policy for any student not wearing a mask. If you have a medical exemption for not wearing a mask please see a dean tomorrow to get an exemption.
- Physical distancing of a minimum of 1 metre must be observed at all times.
- Please ensure you arrive before 9.45 – late students will not be allowed onto school grounds.
- Bring your device and charger with you each day.
- If you have headphones you may wish to bring these also to support individual learning where needed.
- Wear school uniform but ensure you are warmly dressed as the windows will be open during classroom sessions.
- Please sit in the seat you are assigned and remain there throughout each session.
- Please hand sanistise on entry to all classrooms.
- Lunches will be available from outside the tuck shop. Please observe physical distancing in collecting your lunch.
- Any students not following health and safety rules will be asked to leave the school site immediately and will not be permitted to return for the next three weeks.
Leavers Day 12 November – Years 11 to 13 onsite
9.30 – All students in Mentor classes
- Chance to say farewells and acknowledge the year
- A short NCEA examination processes PowerPoint will be shared with all Mentor Teachers to show the students, during this morning session.
10.00 – Co-curricular and Senior Prizegiving via Google Meet
- As the prizes are read students will receive their award from the Mentor teacher. Please no handshakes but you might want to acknowledge in some non-contact way 😊
- Cups will be available for you to present and take a photo.
- All cups will then be collected back in. If there is a miniature cup then the student can take that home with them.
Lunch will be available at the conclusion of prizegiving. Students can take it with them or remain on school grounds to eat together and say farewells (weather depending).
There will be a brief assembly/farewell for Year 13s at the end of Prizegiving also in their Mentor classes.
NCEA / External Assessments
Please note that external exams this year are not compulsory – students should discuss this option with their family and teachers to make the decision that is best for them.
All senior teachers are working with their classes to generate evidence for External Exams – these are called Unexpected Event Grades (UEGs)
A couple of reminders about Unexpected Event Grades:
- These DO count for subject (and certificate) endorsement. Students DO NOT have to come to the exam in order to gain an endorsement.
- Students in Auckland and Waikato do not have to fill in a special UEG application form for each exam they miss. These have been automatically applied due to the ongoing lockdown we have experienced.
NCEA examination slips: this year the entry slips will be kept at the front reception. Students can collect these on the way into their first examination.
For students who are coming to an external exam:
- Morning exams 9.30 am - 12.30 pm (please be ready outside the Hall at 9 am, physically distanced (2m) from one another)
- Afternoon exams 2.00 pm - 5.00 pm (please be ready outside the Hall at 1.30 pm, physically distanced (2m) from one another)
- All equipment is to be bought in a clear plastic bag.
- You can bring your own water bottle.
- If you are sick or unwell you must stay at home. The UEG will be used.
- Masks are not required but are strongly recommended.
The updated examination timetable is available here: https://www.nzqa.govt.nz/assets/qualifications-and-standards/qualifications/ncea/exams-and-portfolios/examination-timetable.pdf
Junior students onsite
At this stage, we have not been given a possible return date for our Junior students. I will keep you informed if and when any decision is made in this area.
Library update – we need your help to return all books to school please
Year 13 students with outstanding library books have been emailed during Week 2. As the library is not open at Alert Level 3 then please return any library books you have to any teacher onsite who can return it for you to the collection space in the staff room.
Auckland Libraries has announced a new Click and Collect service for library books, starting from Tuesday 2 November https://www.aucklandlibraries.govt.nz/Pages/click-collect.aspx